Dr. Adam Bernstein earned his undergraduate degree Magna Cum Laude, in bioengineering from the University of Pennsylvania School of Engineering and Applied Science. During his time there, he was elected to the Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honors Society. In college, Dr. Bernstein researched a number of orthopedic related topics, including ACL matrix scaffolding and anthropomorphic design.
After graduation, Dr. Bernstein attended Georgetown University Medical School, where he received his medical degree with honors and was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honors society. He then went on to New York University Medical Center-Bellevue Hospital Center to complete his general surgery residency. It was at the Orthopaedic Institute Hospital for Joint Diseases at New York University Hospital that he completed his orthopaedic residency and engaged in research. Dr. Bernstein’s work has been published in The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Arthroscopy, The Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, The American Journal of Orthopedics, Orthopedics, and the Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases. He was also given the Senior Resident Research Award during his final year of residency at the Hospital for Joint Diseases.
Once his residency was finished, Dr. Bernstein received a Fellowship in Sports Medicine from Lenox Hill Hospital. During his time at Lenox Hill, Dr. Bernstein was a member of the medical staff of the New York Jets, New York Islanders, Hofstra University, Hunter College, and the United States Open Tennis Tournament.
Education and Training
- Lenox Hill Hospital – Fellowship in Sports Medicine
- New York University School of Medicine-Hospital for Joint Diseases – Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
- New York University School of Medicine-Bellevue Hospital Center – General Surgery Residency
- Georgetown University Medical School
- University of Pennsylvania School of Engineering and Applied Science – BS in Bioengineering
Memberships and Awards
- Subspecialty certificate in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Bergen Top Doctors
- Patient Satisfaction Award – Press Ganey®
- Senior Resident Research Award – New York University-Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Teaching Appointment – Clinical Assistant Professor Dept. of Orthopedic Surgery – NYU School of Medicine
In 2003, Dr. Bernstein joined Garden State Orthopaedic Associates to provide exceptional care to patients experiencing a comprehensive range of concerns and conditions. In addition to being certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dr. Bernstein also attained a Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. Dr. Bernstein is extensively trained in arthroscopic surgery, with regard to shoulder and knee injuries, such as rotator cuff repair, labral repair and ACL reconstruction. He has privileges at The Valley Hospital and St Joseph’s Regional Medical Center. He is also currently a Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at New York University School of Medicine.